Thursday, January 21, 2010

Before the Rain

Before the rain storms, I stopped by the Arboretum, late in the day, just before it closed. The last rays of sun tilted sideways through the trees making interesting shadows. Here are a couple of photos I took of the mountains. It looks as though there are no homes or buildings between this 125 acre parcel of "park" and the mountains. But they are hidden in the trees. The landscaping is such that one can pretend civilization is far away from the hustle and bustle of city life.






But a city dweller CAN get away from the busy traffic by hiking in the mountains, and here I am below with my friend Lynn. Sometimes we meet up here at sunset and then veer off the trail, and climb a steep hill. We sit on the top, and talk about life. On a clear day I have seen the ocean sparkling...some 60 miles away. The skyscrapers of Los Angeles are always visable on clear days.


A nice hiker took our picture on the lowlands, before we climbed the hill.

Speaking of mountains, Mozart was able to go riding for a day in early January with his friend Larry. They went for a long ride, and took pictures of each other jumping. That's Mozart flying though the air. I'm glad I wasn't watching this.



Two days before the rain, Letty and I went to the Santa Anita Race Track early in the morning to watch the horses work out. You can buy coffee, hot chocolate and breakfast and sit on the patio and watch the horses gallop by. On the patio, one can watch people studying horse statistics, observe jockey's grabbing a snack, catch conversations of horse-owners as they stand watching their investment work out on the track. It's fun to dip into their world for a short time, and then walk around this historical place. The movie, "Sea Biscuit" was filmed here.


Letty poses by the track. (Does it seem strange to see Palm trees in front of the mountains?) My niece from Colorado thought it looked strange (but nice).
If you'd like to make the pictures larger, just click on them.

I love the old Oak trees.


In former days, this is where the horse vetenarian worked.


A mysterious carriage.


I like the race track best when it's empty. (like a deserted beach)

I'll close with a verse I've been thinking about. I need wisdom in these next days and I'm thankful for James who reminds us...

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."
James 1:6

It's really a relief to embrace "do not doubt". As soon as I do, I have peace. I know that whatever decisions I make in certain situations....all will work out okay.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Wonderful pictures! What a nice variety of things you have been doing. Love the verse.

Susan Skitt said...

Lovely pictures. I like the trees and mountains. And oh how I wish I was wearing just a sweater instead of my winter coat! BRRR... it's cold here in PA!

And wisdom, God will give it when we ask. What a promise! Thanks for the reminder.