Thursday, September 6, 2007

Counting My Blessings

I had a nice 24 hours the other day. I went boogie boarding at the beach, then spent the night at my parents. I went on a nice bike ride. It was a refreshing and restful change.


Then I came home...and school started...and my job. That's today. It was actually nice feeling to be back and greet old friends.




Counting My Blessings

Sometimes I must remind myself to stop and count the blessings I have in my life. I think my Father in heaven would enjoy that.

If my children only complained, pleaded and were constantly anxious...about my ability to care for them...parenthood would be dreary, indeed.

Dear Father in Heaven---thank you!

for:

my house

my husband

my boys

a job that I enjoy

parents who know you...and live a few miles from a beautiful beach. (a restful spot for me)

my friends

my writing critique group

my moms-in-touch group

Sunday morning lifestyles class at church

Nice neighbors

extended family relationships are healthy and "in you".

thank you that my oldest son really likes his new college classes--auto and welding

thank you that my youngest son is doing well

I'm thankful that my husband loves me

Thank you for the nature I see every day...the mountains, the sky, the plants, the birds, rocks, dirt, breezes, trees...oh and the stars, planets, moon, and beautiful universe!

Thank you for your Word.

Thank you for listening to my prayers.

Thank you for forgiving me, saving my life through the death and resurrection of your son and preparing a home in heaven for me...so we can be together forever.



8 comments:

Beach Girl said...

As you said, the beach IS a restful spot. The next time you're out there, think of me on the opposite coast.

Your post makes me think of an old song (from the movie "White Christmas") about counting blessings. :-)

Vanessa

Susan Skitt said...

Count your many blessings name them one by one... just like the old hymn. Sometimes it's hard to name them one by one, I just say something easy like, "Thank you for this day". Thanks for the reminder to "name them one by one". And the beach? Yes, a restful place. Lovely, refreshing post.

Becky Wolfe said...

what a great list of things to be thankful for. Sounds like you had a beautiful & relaxing visit with your parents. My parents home is a retreat for me as well with an amazing view in the hills.

Went quadding again lastnight & this time went much quicker & more sure of myself. Still, Lawrence was practically stalling his bike to stay slow enough for me. It will take a while til I can zip thru bumps & dips like he can on a bike!

Sharon Lynne said...

Vanessa--Yes, the next time I'm dipping into the Pacific I will think of you over there in the Atlantic!

Susan--I remember that old hymn. I would sing it with my grandmother in church.

Becky--I don't think you will ever go as fast as a motorcycle! (HeHeHe). Two wheels are a little easier to maneuver then four.

Now don't kill yourself trying. Do NOT get into a race with your husband! LOL

Becky Wolfe said...

heheh - don't worry - I don't even try to race him! I like my slow putt-putt style for the moment. But I sure can see how he can dodge around obstacles with two wheels that I have barrell on thru with 4! :)

Michelle (wife, mom, grandma, daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, and striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman) said...

Sharon,
So glad to see your many blessings. It is so good to remember to be thankful, and I love your comment about if our children were always complaining, whining, etc...it's such a good reminder that we are children of God and He desires for us to be blessed!
I saw you have a writing critique group...that's cool! Is a group of local women, or online? I would love to have access to that as I work toward my dream of being a freelance writer.
Blessings,
Michelle
PS, I'll write you soon)

Sharon Lynne said...

It's a local group. But we'd love to have you come visit if you're ever out here!

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful post...the peacefulness flowed over into our workshoppe...thank you!!!

I just wanted to let you know that we have a new blog in progress...
fisherfamilysingers.blogspot.com

I know how music is a big part of ya'lls lives, just wanted to share how it is in ours too!!!