Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Retired? or Not...

(update--Thanks for those encouraging comments! Went up and down the street tonight. I set off the barking dogs and the neighbors peered out their windows. Mozart put a different kind of spark plug in to bring the idle under control. Now I can slow it down better!--6/17/10 Thurs.)

I'm retiring from off-road riding. Well, at least I thought I was until yesterday. It seems we've been invited to a church potluck Saturday and the hosts live in the desert.

Should we bring the bikes and go for a spin? The potluck doesn't start until 3:30. Mozart got out the bikes tonight and started them up. While he was revving the engines, I watched from the porch and wondered how I would look at the potluck after riding through dirt, rocks and sandy streambeds.

And I worried. After two years, would I remember how to ride? So I got on the bike and tried to ride it around the back yard. I didn't get far. It stalled next to the peach tree. Mozart said to give it a little more gas. But then it bolted forward with too much speed. Mozart sighed. "It's been sitting so long the carburetor is gummed up." Tomorrow he is going to take it apart and clean it. I was disappointed because I couldn't practice. He rolled the bike into the shed and we both came back in the house.

Later on, I stepped outside in the darkness and walked across the grass to the shed and slipped inside. I straddled my bike and imagined riding through the desert. I practiced shifting, and breaking. Hmf! Those skills used to be innate. Now I have to think!

Hopefully my coordination will return quickly or it's going to be one unforgettable ride on Saturday! To be continued...

Some memories below:




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like riding a bicycle. You never forget. You'll be fine in 5 minutes. And if not, I'll carry you.

Willow said...

Oh, have fun! You'll love it!

Dawn said...

I am "betting" you'll do it and love it. I couldn't, but you can!!

Wonderful pictures.

Glenda said...

I'm with Dawn! I surely couldn't do it, but it sounds like such fun! Love the pics! Let us know "the rest of the story"!

Karen said...

You go girl...have a blast!

Becky Wolfe said...

Didja go? Didja go? I hope you went and had no problems remembering all your riding skills. I finally got to take my quad for a spin a couple weekends ago. It had been a long time & I was terrified over narrow bumpy roads. But the view at the top was worth the terror of knowing I had to go back DOWN the same roads I just came up. I know with a little more practice I'll find my confidence. And hopefully you did too.

Marg said...

Never quit riding...you at least have all the gear...and who cares what you look like at the BBQ. I love that look.
I always tell my girls...
Never Stop Exploring!