Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Blessing of Diamond

God gives us earthly blessings to enjoy in this life. But all things on earth will one day pass away, except for one thing. Our relationship with God. Jesus said, that "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day."

We lost one of our blessings one week ago, on Saturday night. Diamond, our 2 year old beloved friend, was hit by a car.



Diamond (named for the diamond on her head) came into our lives, unexpectedly. My son acquired her while he was living on his own (for 2 months). And when it didn't work out, he moved home. I did not want a dog...but I had no choice. But God knew what he was doing. All four of us in the family fell in love with Diamond. As we enjoyed her antics, it gave us something to talk about with our son. We laughed at the way she would try to talk to us with her growly voice, and we were quite entertained when she pushed the basketball around the fruit trees at lightning speed. And now, she brings us together in her passing, as we grieve.

Many months ago, a wild poppy seed fell in front of Diamonds dog house. When I played with Diamond on the grass I didn't even notice it. Until about a month ago it began to get taller, and I wondered if the little plant would survive Diamond entering and leaving her dog house.

A few days before her death, it began to bloom. But I didn't really notice it until the morning after that fateful night. I took a picture of it then.



With a tear in his eye Mozart told me that when he went out to see it, he noticed four blooms on it.

Now it has filled out quite a bit and covers the whole entrance to the dog house.

Jesus words are comforting to me when he says that the Father knows when each Sparrow falls. Although his words need to be taken in context, I do feel he cares about all the animals.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father." Matthew 10:29

4 comments:

Glenda said...

I believe God cares about each bit of sadness in our lives. I know you will miss your Diamond, but I hope he will continue to draw your family close through his memories. The poppy in front of his house is special!

Susan Skitt said...

Oh, so sorry to hear about your dog. Yes, God cares about the animals and our feelings too. We have struggled to care for our dog we adopted 5 years ago who has epilepsy. But she brings joy to our family too. I believe God used her to help our youngest son to become more compassionate and sensitive. Sending hugs and prayers for you today. And how interesting about the flower that has bloomed - special :)

Dawn said...

When we lost Fritzie (to old age - he died in his little bed in the basement and had been such a friend to all of us for 14 years), there was actually a grief counseling service at CSU where I worked - a very major veterinary program there. So it is not something that is taken lightly. I just read your last post and saw that he had gotten loose and had a nice run around the neighborhood. Is that what happened again? So so sorry!

My word, the strawberries look so wonderful - ours are always so crunchy when we buy them in the store - we rarely ewer get a really good tasting strawberry. The pictures of the flowers and fruit trees are wonderful. And what a great day with your folks.

Dwight is very light skinned, as you know, so he doesn't really tan anyway - in fact, he makes sure he's slathered with sun block because of skin cancer episodes he's had. So the bleach won't have much affect on his coloring! ;0)

Yes my dad looks good. He's dealing with kidney stones again - we're waiting to hear what they're going to do. He had so much pain last Wednesday and Thursday.

Have a great day!

Karen said...

Oh, Sharon, I am so sorry to read about Diamond...and the blooming flowers at the doghouse door gave me goosebumps...like a hug from God...