Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Letter from a Publisher

My sister-in-law sent me this picture of my doggy-niece, Miss Maggie.

Miss Maggie is anxious to hear my latest writing news.

About 6 weeks ago I sent a manuscript to a small Christian magazine. This is the third time I've sent "When /* God/* Rode/* a /* Dirt Bike" to a publisher.

A few days ago I received the email below.

I am considering this piece for publication.
Would you please sent it as a Microsoft word attachment or as part of an e-mail so I can do editing on the screen.

I don't think I've ever had a story about an experience with God on a dirt bike.

FYI - Maximum word count for our publication is 1,200 I take material with as little as 150 words. So there isn't any need to add to this piece at this point. You've done a nice job writing this. I just feel like it could use some tightening up.

Yeaaaah!

Yet after emailing the article per her instructions, I haven't heard anything back yet. I think I better email soon and ask if she received it.

I must remain cautiously optimistic until she notifies me that they are purchasing it for sure.

On Friday, I attended our writer's critique group monthly meeting. I brought my article, "5 Good Things About Trouble." The gals had some good input for me...to improve the article. I will mention here, that it is so important to have others look at your work. Especially for clarity. (What makes sense to me...may not make sense to another.)

When the critique group disagrees about what makes sense and what doesn't...it's best to go with your gut feeling. Yet, everyone's comments should be weighed carefully.

After I'm done polishing, "Trouble", I plan to send it to the same publisher. Maybe I will be able to establish a relationship.

4 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Yeah! And that's an understatement.

I'm so excited for you!

Please keep us updated! You go girl!

Diane
P.S. Darling photo of your puppy!!!!!

Becky Wolfe said...

Woohoo! How exciting!! Keep us posted!!!

Dawn said...

This is great news! I wouldn't know how to even go about starting to write for publication, but it is great that you are this close!

Susan Skitt said...

Way to go girl :) From one writer to another, keep me posted, okay? It's always encouraging to hear good news! And I agree about having others read our work. It's so important to write with clarity.