Monday, April 28, 2008

My Anxious Heart

My son is out of the house. It has become impossible for him to live here. And it is impossible for him to live out there.

I'm very uncomfortable. The hardest part is turning him away when he comes back. I know this sounds ruthless, but it is necessary. I'm falling apart. I'm not tough. I'm sensitive--this goes against my grain.

A friend told me about this book.

Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow.

I'm reading it now...and I'd like to share parts of it. It will do me good to type the words.

God is worthy to be the object of our faith because of His marvelous character. Amy Carmichael, missionary to India's children, said her ability to trust God began with her confidence in God's character. Here is what she believed:

--God is, first and always, a loving Father.

--God is in control, and everything He allowed into her life was ultimately for her good.

--Like a little child, she "tucked" herself into God by trusting Him--and He was able to carry her through all things.

Confidence in God's character enabled Amy to nestle into God's arms and trust Him wholly. Confidence in God's character enables us to throw ourselves with complete abandon into His care.


I'm learning I have a long way to go when it comes to trust. But I will try. And may God's arms be around my son, too.

Quick News Flash about the California fire:

The current California fire is burning some of my favorite hiking places. It's a helpless feeling. I pray that they can get the fire out soon. (Only about 25% contained.) Two families we know had to evacuate.

4 comments:

Susan Skitt said...

Wow my friend, it must be very difficult indeed. Continuing in prayer.

It was good to read those word of Amy Carmichael. Yes, that is one tough lesson I've been learning about trust. It truly boils down to this, "Do you believe God is who He says He is?" He will help us with whatever comes our way as we rely on His perfect character. There is no shadow of turning with our Lord Jesus.

Much love,
Susan

Dawn said...

Double whammy this week for you - your son's situation and the helpless fire situation.

I have that book, but haven't read it yet. I am glad you are - I need to.

Blessings on you, dear friend!

Diane Viere said...

Sharon--

I'm going to get that book....it sounds like you are reading it at just the right time!

Allison's book has been mailed...and you should receive it any moment. I hope it is just the right book for such a time as this.

Your heart is hurting...let the healing begin.

I'm praying with you.

Diane

Yolanda said...

MY thoughts are with you my friend.