Monday, February 11, 2008

Sailing over the Hurdle

My 20-year-old son got a job! Today was his first day at an Aerospace plant. He will train as a machine operator. He learned to cut metal today. He also said the machine had a cool projector where he can check his precision. He has to make curved cuts. He can check the curvature of his piece by holding it up to the projector which also projects graph paper in the background. I am positive I am NOT explaining this correctly.

There are still many hurdles to overcome...but this is a step in the right direction. He still wants to take a welding class at the local Junior college.

After his initial training on the new job, he will be moved to the night shift (11 pm to 7:00 am) The welding class (at college) starts at 7:30 am and goes to 12:00 noon. Will he be able to do that? He'll have to try it and see. It would not be good to fall asleep while welding.

Since his insurance ran out the day before he started his job....I am now driving him to work, which takes about 30 minutes round trip. Then...I go to work. (After I take the youngest to school.) Needless to say, I'm up early in the morning. But soon he will make enough money to get his car back in working order.

Verse of the day: Matthew 9:26 Jesus looked at them intently and said, "Humanly speaking it is impossible. But with God all things are possible."

C. also said that an astronaut visited the plant today, and he came home with an autographed picture. (John L. Phillips). The company makes bearings that are used for the army, navy as well as the space program.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sharon, this is so exciting. Your son is gaining marketable skills! Praise God for opening this door. I will pray that somehow he'll be able to get from work to his welding class on time in order to continue and complete that course. He'll have to figure out when he sleeps!

And may the Lord touch your back with divine healing and give peace to your muscle spasms. Much love to each of you.

The Gatekeeper said...

Well that's how it happens. A little patience and a lot of prayer. Great testimony, my friend. Keep hanging in there.

Dawn said...

Very, very cool.

JAM said...

That's wonderful. Plus, getting training in skills like that, once he has learned them and gained experience, he should be able to find and keep good paying jobs. With that type of work, getting the first job/training is usually the hardest part.

How long is the welding school?

When I started back to college to work toward an engineering degree, I worked 3:30pm to Midnight, then had classes from 7 or 8 until noon. I would sleep a few hours at night after work, and then one more hour as a nap in the afternoon before work.

I did this for just over a year, and thought it was difficult, I did it alright.

If his welding school is 6months or a year or so, then I'd say for him to go for it. Though it might problematic if the metal working job requires him to work overtime.

Prayers and best wishes to him as he tries to get going in all of this.

Susan Skitt said...

I'm so glad for you Sharon and for your son. I pray that all will work out according to God's plan. He does provide.

Diane Viere said...

PRAISE THE LORD! And pass the paychecks!

I'm so happy and hopeful for you Lynne! What good news.

Enjoy this time of expectation...and don't let up on the praying (and the praising!)

"With God....ALL things are possible." You are so right!

I'm thankful you are experiencing this time of joy.

Diane

Becky Wolfe said...

Hooray for your son! That sounds like a cool job and awesome that he wants to take classes to learn more. Hopefully he'll get that car back on the road soon!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Yes, with God all thing are truly possible!

Cynthia