Monday, April 27, 2009

A Prayer for Your Loved One

A friend of mine has an autistic child and April has been Autistic Awareness Month. I have been receiving a series of prayers through my email—to help me know how to pray for her child and other Autistic children. I thought I'd share one of the prayers with you. You can place your own loved one's name in the blank, even if he/she doesn't have Autism.

This was such a good reminder God's promises with regards to our children and the hope we have in the future.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
(Jeremiah 29:11-13, NIV)

PARENT’S PRAYER:
Dear Lord,
You see the pain and hopelessness that ________(Autism or other disability) brings. You have seen our tears and know our heartaches in the midst of this devastating trial. And yet, God, you say that you have plans for _______ to bring him/her a hope and a future. We thank you, God, that you have promised that when we call upon you that you will listen to us. So Lord we pray that you will begin this very day to set that hope and that future in motion. Father, you do have a destiny for _________ beyond the confines of ________(disability) You have a great purpose for his/her life. I thank you, Lord, that we can trust in those promises and that there will be breakthroughs in days ahead. The best is truly ahead, for you have many promises in your Word concerning ________. Help us to see your hand at work. Show us each and every day how you would have us pray to see all your promises come to pass.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen.

FOR FURTHER PRAYER:
“Without wavering, let us hold tightly to the hope we say we have, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.”
(Hebrews 10:23, NLT)
“And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.”
(Philippians 1:6, NLT)
“Why am I discouraged? Why so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again — my Savior and my God!”
(Psalm 42:5-6, NLT)
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”
(Hebrews 13:8, NIV)
“He has given us both his promise and his oath, two things we can completely count on, for it is impossible for God to tell a lie. Now all those who flee to him to save them can take new courage when they hear such assurances from God; now they can know without doubt that he will give them the salvation he has promised them.”
(Hebrews 6:18, TLB)
“These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.”
(Revelation 3:7, NIV)

5 comments:

Willow said...

Jer. 29.11 is my life verse. What a wonderful promise of HOPE!

Karen said...

This was so good! I am going to print it out and put it beside my desk. Thanks for sharing!

Marg said...

Thank-you for sharing this.
I have a friend who will be interested in seeing this.
Thanks.

Dawn said...

It works for parents of prodigals as well!

Susan Skitt said...

Wonderful... and to think too that this passage and promise from God in Jer. came at a time when the prophet was in prison for proclaiming God's Word...
Oftentimes we feel trapped,,but God is working to draw us to Himself!