Friday, May 30, 2008

Viewing the Night Sky

I did it. I walked out side into the night dragging my sleeping bag. I draped it on my new lawn chair. I sat down and SNAP--BONG. The chair folded up. My legs were in the air and my head rested on the prikly grass. I fixed the chair, and then sat carefully in the MIDDLE. I slipped my legs inside and pulled the sleeping bag up to my eyes. Noises were coming from the palm trees.
The palms stretch up beyond the top of the picture...tall and thick. The noise sounded like monkeys were jumping through the branches...but actually I'm pretty sure it was tree squirrels.

I looked up. WOW. There was the big dipper right above my head! And there were at least 10 other stars. City lights are not far away, so it's not the ideal viewing spot...but nevertheless...I felt like I was on VACATION! It brought back memories of sleeping outside on our water-skiing trips, when I was young. I slept on a chair just like this one...with a towel under my sleeping bag to keep me warm. At night I would wake up periodically and notice the stars had shifted position.

The night sky is so mysterious and beautiful. As I lay in my lawn chair, I noticed a big orange star overhead...not too far away from the handle of the Big Dipper. I looked it up later. It's Arturus. It's 20 times bigger than our sun...and its getting to be an old giant...slowly burning out.

I'm glad I finally took some time to stare at the sky--in a comfortable position. I'm going out again tonight.

On the family front, my youngest has been driving alot...and I've been his co-pilot. I try to say very little. He's gaining confidence.

Things are difficult for my oldest son. Right now he's in God's hands. I pray for him daily.

Today, my husband, Mozart, decided to google a favorite music professor he had in college. Sure enough, a website came up. Mozart called him. They had a wonderful talk...and will probably stay in touch now that they have each others email. It's a nice feeling to connect with a good old friend and mentor.

I'm still job hunting...as my part-time job will be ending in the middle of June. However, today I just found out they will be adding a Special Education class to summer school. I heard a rumor that I may get called assist. Although it would only be 20 hours per week, at least it's something! I do enjoy the kids.

Have a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

What a wonderful way to spend some time, gain perspective, enjoy God's creation. I need to do that as well. I used to do it when I was in high school and our small house was so filled with so many people, and it was a great way to escape chaos.

I hope you get a FT job with Benefits(!) soon! I have always held those who enjoy working with special ed. in very high esteem. As well as those who enjoy working with middle school kids!

Susan Skitt said...

What an exciting night outside! Wow! I did not know about that big old star!

And it's good to hear your family update. Take care and hope you're having a nice weekend :)

Love and prayers,
Susan

Connie Pombo said...

Okay, that's it! I'm dragging out my sleeping bag tonight! What is it about California girls and the wide open sky at night?

Oops, I forgot, I have my "patient" inside.

Maybe next month...

Biker Betty said...

I haven't layed out and looked at the stars in a very long time. I need to do that. Good luck in your job hunting. It took me a while to land the one I now have. I have now survived one year working in a high school library. Teenagers are tough, but I do enjoy it.

I admire those working with special needs kids. I subbed in this job once and it was hard.

Becky Wolfe said...

Aside from your chair trying to eat you, what a great way to stargaze. Hubby & I sometimes lie out on our lawn & do the same thing. We just got a new patio swing and I *think* the cover on it tilts all the way back, and the swing folds down to a bed so we could possibly lay on the swing & star gaze too. Except right now, laying on my back is uncomfortable.

Glad young son is doing well driving. Thinking & praying for older son. Great that DH connected with an old friend. Good luck on the job hunt. That's never fun!

Hugs & blessings